Apple TV Plus is Apple’s answer to streaming television. It offers a library of original content, as well as access to other streaming services like HBO and Showtime. Apple TV Plus is still in its early stages, but it has the potential to be a major player in the streaming market. In this blog post, we will discuss the features of Apple TV Plus and what sets it apart from other streaming services. We will also take a look at its potential future and how it could impact the streaming industry.
What exactly is Apple TV Plus?
Apple TV Plus is the company’s premium subscription streaming service, which competes with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and others. Except for marketing for content and add-on streaming services within Apple TV Plus, it is fully ad-free. The platform includes a slew of original series and films produced by Apple’s Originals division.
This complements Apple’s existing Apple TV, a set-top streaming box that also offers access to other streaming services. The idea is that you can consolidate all of your streaming services into one location rather than remembering several accounts and passwords.
Because we understand that there are various services and products under the Apple TV umbrella, here’s a breakdown of the three:
- Apple TV (product): A set-top box that lets you stream video from iTunes, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN, Hulu, Netflix, and other services. There are now two variants available, one in HD and one in 4K. The Apple TV app is available on both models.
- Apple TV app: A free app/service that provides as a central location for content from numerous streaming services, including Apple TV Plus. Individual subscriptions to certain channels are also available, as are movie rentals or purchases. The software is already installed on the Apple TV set-top box.
- Apple TV Plus is a Netflix-like subscription service that features Apple Originals, which are shows and films created by and/or for Apple.
How Many Devices Can You Use for Apple TV Plus?
Your membership is available on any device that is signed in to the Apple TV app using your Apple ID. If you’re a member of a Family Sharing group, your family can stream video from a channel on up to three devices at once. Some channels may allow you to stream on more than three devices at the same time.
- Apple TV+: With a single subscription, you can watch up to six streams at the same time. You can only watch Apple TV+ on one device at a time if you have an Apple Music student subscription that includes Apple TV+ for a limited period.
- Apple TV channels: With a single subscription, you can watch up to three streams at the same time. Some channels may support more than three simultaneous streams.
Is Apple TV Plus worth the money?
The value of Apple TV Plus is determined by how much you value fresh and unique content. It’s not the place to go if you want to binge-watch The Office for the umpteenth time.
Apple TV Plus does provide some amazing original material that may be worth the membership fee for dedicated TV fans. They include the science-fiction epic Foundation, based on Isaac Asimov’s classic novels; The Morning Show, a drama starring Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell; See, an epic sci-fi drama starring Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard; and many others.
In comparison to other streaming heavyweights, Apple TV Plus will not provide access to current blockbuster films or fan-favorite oldies, but it is the only service that focuses so heavily on big-budget original programming. According to reports, Apple is investing billions of dollars to acquire top-tier talent and has enough means to keep the platform functioning indefinitely.
Apple TV Plus also comes with a pretty generous family sharing plan that allows up to six family members to share the same account. Even better, they can use their own logins, which eliminates the need for you to reveal your password to anyone.
Another factor to consider is that if you are currently a member of the Apple ecosystem, you may be able to obtain the service for free.
Learn more: How to Pair an Apple TV Remote
Where can I get Apple TV Plus?
Apple TV Plus is available in 107 countries worldwide. It is not available in every country where the Apple TV app is supported. South Korea, Romania, Turkey, and other high-population countries are included.
Apple, on the other hand, has vowed that every Apple Original will be subtitled or dubbed (or both) in over 40 languages. Closed captions will be available on all titles for viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Here is a complete list of all 107 countries where Apple TV Plus is available:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cape Verde
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- The Gambia
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
What is the price of Apple TV Plus?
In the United States, Apple TV Plus costs $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial. An annual subscription is also available for $49.99. This cost unlocks all Apple Originals, but additional Apple TV Channel subscriptions must be purchased separately.
It’s worth mentioning that the service has only one pricing, and it includes up to six family members, 4K quality, and media downloads. There are no more expensive plans with additional features; everything is included in the basic package.
If you currently subscribe to a few other Apple goods, such as Apple Music, and Apple One subscription may be worthwhile. For $14.95 each month, you get Apple TV Plus, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, and 50GB of iCloud storage. There is also a $19.95 family package for up to six family members. The most expensive subscription is $29.95 and includes 2TB of iCloud storage as well as Apple News Plus and the new Apple Fitness Plus.
Other countries have similar prices, but you can find a list of foreign Apple TV Plus prices below:
- USA: $4.99/month or $49.99/year
- Canada: $5.99 per month
- £4.99/month in the UK
- Europe: €4.99 per month
- India: 99 rupees per month
- Australia: $7.99 per month
How can I obtain a free Apple TV Plus?
To promote its new streaming service, Apple first provided a free year of Apple TV Plus to anyone who had just purchased an Apple product. iPhones, iPods, Macs, iPods, and Apple TV set-top boxes are all included.
However, the discount is no longer valid for new purchases. In July 2021, Apple will no longer offer a free year of Apple TV Plus. From now on, you’ll only have three months of free access before having to contemplate a premium subscription. New Roku devices also come with three months of Apple TV Plus for free. Other new users can still enjoy seven days of free Apple TV Plus. Visit the link below to learn more about how to acquire Apple TV Plus for free.
How can I sign up for Apple TV Plus?
Signing up for Apple TV Plus is simple, and it can be done via the web or the Apple TV app. It’s often the first thing you see when you open the Apple TV app. To get started, simply tap Try It Free and confirm your payment. The first seven days are free, but after that, you will be charged $4.99 a month automatically.
Simply go to the Apple TV Plus website and click the Start Your Free Trial button. If you aren’t already logged in, you’ll need to log in, although the entire procedure takes less than a minute.
No matter how you join up, a pop-up will appear informing you whether you have a free year or three months to claim as a result of a previous purchase.
If you use other Apple services such as Apple Music, iCloud storage, and Apple Arcade and your free Apple TV Plus subscription expire, you can upgrade to an Apple One subscription. When compared to the cost of all of these services separately, the bundle will save you money.
What is available on Apple’s streaming service?
Under the Apple Originals program, Apple TV Plus is all about original programming. These include series, movies, and documentaries starring some of Hollywood’s biggest personalities. Apple’s streaming service has an advantage over some competitors due to the company’s large coffers and affiliations with other businesses.
Apple TV Plus has many amazing shows and movies, with new content added monthly, and in many cases, you can watch the first episode or two of an Apple Original series for free. This is a wonderful way to determine if you want to watch more before beginning your seven-day free trial.
Apple began syndicating older content in May 2020 to assist enhance the content portfolio. As of this writing, the solely licensed content is the 1980s Fraggle Rock series and Charlie Brown Christmas specials. These additions make sense given that Apple TV Plus also has the right to create brand new Fraggle Rock and Peanuts episodes as part of the Apple Originals program.
We won’t include every episode and movie available on Apple TV Plus in this article, but here’s a quick rundown of some of our favorites to give you an idea of what to expect.
Apple TV Plus shows to watch
Apple spent substantially on original series for the platform, and while few have really captured the hearts and minds of the general public (Ted Lasso being the notable exception), there are several outstanding shows available.
We have a comprehensive list of the greatest Apple TV Plus series, complete with trailers and descriptions, but here’s a quick rundown of some of our favorites.
- The Morning Show – A drama about the behind-the-scenes shenanigans of a national morning news television show. Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell star.
- See – An epic science fiction drama set on Earth centuries after a global catastrophe has turned (almost) all people blind. Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard star.
- For All Mankind is a science fiction series set in an alternate timeline in which the Soviet Union landed a man on the moon before the United States.
- Dickinson – A comedy starring Hailee Steinfeld as a fictionalized version of poet Emily Dickinson.
- Ted Lasso is a fish-out-of-water comedy starring Jason Sudeikis as an American football coach who comes to the United Kingdom to coach a soccer team despite having no prior experience with the sport.
- Foundation — In this adaptation of Isaac Asimov’s famous books, characters from broad swaths of space and time battle for the fate of a fading empire.
- Helpsters is a children’s television show that teaches children how to code. Sesame Workshop, the Sesame Street creators, created it.
- Shining Girls – In this terrifying horror series, a woman’s sense of reality shifts as history is rewritten by a time-traveling stranger who attacks her.
- Ghostwriter – A fresh version of the children’s series focusing on four children who must confront literary creatures.
- Oprah’s Book Club – This show revives Oprah Winfrey’s hugely popular virtual book club. Every other month, new episodes will be released on Apple TV Plus.
- M. Night Shyamalan executive produced and directed numerous episodes of the thriller series Servant.
- The Mythic Quest – Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day, two of the three founders of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, reunite for this comic sitcom about a video game development business.
- Amazing Stories – A reboot of the famous sci-fi anthology TV series produced by Steven Spielberg.
- Home Before Dark is a mystery drama based on the true story of Hilde Lysiak, who investigated a cold case murder for her own neighborhood newspaper when she was 11 years old.
- Central Park – An animated series with Josh Gad and Kristen Bell as voice actors.
- Employees at a secret company go through a procedure to separate their professional and personal life.
- Tehran, Iran – An enthralling espionage thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
How Do I Configure Family Sharing on Apple TV Plus?
This section explains how to use Family Sharing to access Apple TV Plus on various devices.
The family organizer will set up Family Sharing on their iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or Mac using the Apple TV+ application. An Apple TV device cannot be configured directly for Family Sharing.
Following the activation of Family Sharing, the family organizer will confirm the Purchase Sharing selections and payment method (credit card or debit card).
Step 1: Sign up for Apple TV+.
Ascertain that you have an Apple ID. This will be used to make purchases in the App Store or iTunes Store.
Here’s how you sign up for Apple TV Plus across various devices:
- Install the Apple TV app.
- Launch Apple TV, then select Watch Now.
- Select Apple TV+ after scrolling through the Apple TV channels.
- Select a subscription that you may share with your family. Follow the onscreen prompts after clicking the Subscription button.
- If you choose the family subscription package, be sure you enable Family Sharing on your device.
You can subscribe to Apple One: Family instead if you wish to package your Apple TV Plus membership with other Apple services. It comes with Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, iCloud+, and other features.
Step 2: Establish a Family Group.
You can create the Family group on your iOS device or Macbook by following these steps:
On Your iPhone or iPad
- Select the Settings option.
- Tap your name and then select Family Sharing.
- Set up your family by tapping Set Up Your Family and following the on-screen directions.
Using Your Mac
- Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences.
- Select your desired options for Purchase Sharing by clicking on Family Sharing.
- Set up the family group by following the on-screen directions.
Follow these steps if you’re using macOS Mojave or earlier:
- Go to the Apple Menu, then System Preferences, then iCloud.
- Choose the Apple ID you wish to use for Family Sharing, then choose your desired Purchase Sharing options.
- Set up the family group by following the on-screen directions.
Step 3: Invite Others to Be a Part of Your Family
The following step is to invite others to join your family group. Ascertain that each member has an Apple ID in order to invite them to the group.
Is Apple TV Plus worthwhile?
The value of Apple TV Plus is determined by your desire to watch new and original programs. It has titles like Ted Lasso and The Morning Show, but it isn’t the place to revisit The Office.
How do I get my hands on free Apple TV Plus?
There are several ways to obtain Apple TV Plus for free: You can obtain a free seven-day trial at any time, a free month of Apple One subscription, or three months free with the purchase of any Apple device.
How many people can access Apple TV Plus?
Apple TV original episodes and movies are available to you and up to five family members, for a total of six profiles.
What does Apple TV Plus include?
Apple TV Plus includes Ted Lasso, The Problem With Jon Stewart, and Stillwater among its many original movies and series.
Is it possible to share Apple TV Plus with family members?
Yes, Apple TV Plus lets you create up to six profiles so you and your family may watch shows together or separately.
Are Apple TV Plus programming and movies available in 4K?
Yes, all Apple TV Plus episodes and movies are available in 4K resolution for streaming or downloading.
Is there advertising on Apple TV Plus?
No, there are no advertisements on Apple TV Plus.
Is there parental control on Apple TV Plus?
Yes, parental controls are available for the Apple TV app, web portal, and set-top box.
Is it possible to share an Apple TV Plus account with friends and family?
Apple TV Plus memberships can be shared with up to five other accounts (for a total of six), while the program is officially limited to family members only.
Is Apple TV Plus available on Roku?
Yes. The app is accessible on the majority of Roku devices. The full list of Roku devices that are supported can be found here.
Is it possible to stream Apple TV Plus on an Amazon Fire TV Stick?
Yes. Most Amazon Fire TV devices support the app. The complete list of Fire TV devices that are supported can be found here.
Can a Chromecast be used with Apple TV Plus?
Officially, Apple TV does not support Chromecast. You can get around this by casting a browser tab with the web app open, but the quality and simplicity of usage suffer as a result.
Can Apple TV Plus be viewed on consoles such as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One?
Yes, Apple TV Plus is compatible with the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S.
Will there be more syndicated content on Apple TV Plus?
Apple hasn’t made any comments about introducing more syndicated content, but it appears to be a part of the platform’s growth strategy.
Users can share their Apple TV Plus subscription with up to five other Apple IDs when Family Sharing is activated.
This means that each Apple TV Plus subscription allows for up to six concurrent streams. On the Apple TV app, each family member will see their own preferences and recommendations.
The family organizer must add individuals to their family group using an iOS device or a Mac in order to set up Family Sharing.
You must also configure the Purchase Sharing options, which govern how purchases are divided and paid for.